Monday, December 18, 2006

A BIT OF SOMETHING FOR NOW


Here's an initial list of my favourite albums of the year so far:

Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
Mogwai - Mr. Beast
Cat Power - The Greatest (was that this year?)
Built to Spill - You in Reverse
Quasi - When The Going Gets Dark
Blood Brothers - Young Machetes
Yo La Tengo - I am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass
The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
The Game - Doctor's Advocate

Frontrunners for the best of those are: Mogwai, Blood Brothers and Quasi, although Belle & Sebastian made the most thorughly listenable from end to end of the lot.

Best Show: The Bell Orchestre @ Vertigo Playhouse Theatre in Calgary; under the Tower.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Fatty said...

Word.

Let's get it on.

Meeting up with some peops on Wednesday. We should roll in blazing.

10:28 a.m.  
Blogger jakefrancis said...

I'm pleased to see you've selected some Ghostface in your list Ron. Brings me back to the Norkam days when I thought I had found the pinnacle of musical brilliance in Method Man and the Wu Tang Clan.

Have you heard anything from Clipse? He's got some good tracks on his latest album.

3:28 p.m.  
Blogger Dr. Fatty said...

I didn't listen to Ghostface for a few months, but it hasn't been out of the player for a few days now. Something about the holidays makes me want to get all wrapped up. OHHHHH!!!!!

3:34 p.m.  
Blogger hold steady said...

Have to hand it to you for casting a wide net and displaying an eclectic assortment of tastes.
Belle & Sebastian, Blood Brothers AND The Game. Wow.

p.s I have a sneaky suspicion Ladyhawk will make your top ten by year end. Probably your number 2 or 3. While you're at it you better include Swan Lake.

10:14 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home