Monday, October 16, 2006

WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN WAS NOT

Yes, I do live a life with elements that most of you would love to have the wherewithal to do. But, yes, there are nights when there is something missing or lost from the fantastic fireworks display that is a night out with me.

This past Saturday I made it to two shows that should have been outright spectacular. However, me getting to the shows was more interesting than both shows. And that hurts me to say because the second was Yo La Tengo, a band I love more than life itself.

They were so unspectacular, both shows, that I won't even write about them. Sufjan Stevens put on a decent show in a large church; but it's not right when the venue outplays the performer. Nevertheless, god bless Sufjan and his beautiful band for making sweet, sweet music from the heart. It was still a good show, but I was looking to be blown away.

YLT rocked and rolled like not many others, yet again. I think the reason I didn't get into this show so much (asides from being drunk and stoned alone) is that I was the last person to walk in (after paying the bouncer $25 to put me on the guest list; two suckers in front of me gave him $20 plus had to buy a ticket). I had to head to the upper deck and couldn't see much; but, it's about the sound really, and the sounds were magnificent. Several tracks off of "I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One" made me happy as did the double Jack on ice.

Anyways, getting stoned in a lineup outside a church and chatting with hipsters is an all right way to spend an evening. The walk in rain several blocks to Richards is not a good way to spend an evening. And getting in line at 7/11 at 1:15 a.m. to buy hot dogs and diet pop isn't so hot either.

Next up: The Hold Steady on Friday. I know that this will be a good night.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It did seem yesteray that you were a bit underwhelmed with both the shows -- but really, what do you expect when you go to a concert in a church!!

11:48 a.m.  
Blogger Duncan said...

hmm Sat huh...I partied in Kelowna with Stella Artois girls and watched the Canucks loose. It's a toss up

5:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home