Wednesday, April 05, 2006

READ, YOU LAZY BUMS

Here's a list of what I've read this year so far. Peruse, discuss and enjoy.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel - Excellent. A movie based on this book is currently in pre-production with Jeunet (City of Lost Children, Delicatessan, Amelie) at the helm.

Deception Point by Dan Brown - As usual with this author, the book is a total page-turner. However, also as usual, he goes too far over the top in the last 50 pages.

Memorial Day by Vince Flynn - This is a "rah-rah, go America" type of book that is a decent page turner. But beware, Bill "I wear make-up" O'Reilly has said every American should read this book. Can most of them actually read?

Hybrids by Robert J. Sawyer - The final in a trilogy of human/neanderthal connection through a hole in time/space. What started out as a good trilogy ended on a slightly brighter note than the middle book.

The Davinci Code by Dan Brown - Great story. If Christianity was pursued the way this book posits Christ wanted it to be they would have many more followers today, including possibly myself. But not likely myself.

The Reality Dysfunction: Part 2 Expansion by Peter F. Hamilton - Amazing end to the first book in the Night's Dawn trilogy. Hamilton has created a quintessential space soap-opera. Great characters, worlds and technology. This is the work of an extremely creative mind.

The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons - End of a two book (broken into 4 physical books because of length) series. I had put off reading this book for nearly two years because I didn't want this series to end. Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion and The Rise of Endymion is the best story I have ever read. Great characters that spread the course of centuries and planes of reality. I would love to have a daughter some day, and I hope to name her Aenea. Last word (several years ago) was that Martin Scorcese had the rights to any movie made based on this series. He had wanted to do the last two parts with Leonardo Dicaprio as Endymion. I think Scorcese and Dicaprio (especially Leo) would both be wrong for this project. The care that Peter Jackson took with Lord of the Rings is what this series deserves. I feel I should play the role of Endymion.

I am currently, finally, reading Dune by Frank Herbert. I'm just barely over 10% of the way into it, but I can already tell this is also a very special series. Unfortunately, David Lynch made a mockery of this book with his rendition of Dune the movie 20 years ago.
Now go out and buy a book and read. If you want creativity go with science-fiction. The good authors are likely the most talented writers around.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lex said...

Check out Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. I think you will appreciate what he's trying to do. I liked it.

8:44 a.m.  
Blogger Dr. Fatty said...

Just read a few reviews of Cloud Atlas. Looks like I'll have to make that my next read.

Thanks for the tip.

2:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home