Saturday, January 21, 2006

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome GUY TERRIFICO!!!!!

"Well every night's another Saturday night.
I get it rollin' with the reefer and rye..." (Saturday Night)

I think it was 1996, it may have been 1997, when Forkhead said let's go to the Starfish Room and check out a band. It only cost $7 and we had nothing to do so we headed downtown. We saw the Super Friendz that night, and to this day it is easily one of the best rock shows I've ever seen, and I'm sure Forkhead will agree. Matt Murphy was jumping, kicking, and singing all over the small stage and the rest of the band was tight.

Murphy is now Guy Terrifico.



Terrifico is a fictitious hard living country star from years gone by. He was created by Michael Mabbott and Murphy was brought in to star in the film and make the soundtrack.I'm not usually a country fan, but Guy Terrifico is not your run of the mill CMT faux-country crap that most "country" fans now listen to. He is the real deal. How can you argue the beautiful truth of lines such as, "Oh whiskey you can save me, when the world has let me down, and there's no woman around." (Whiskey, You Can Save Me)? You can't. Guy Terrifico lived a hard partying life to entertain the masses and he was damned proud of his Canadian rye and reefer. God bless his immaculate soul.

Murphy and Mabbott wrote pretty much all the songs on the soundtrack and Murphy's brother Chris, of Sloan, does most of the drumming. It's fun stuff, it's good stuff, and it's pure country. Go buy The Life and Hard Times of Guy Terrifico and while you listen to it try to imagine you could live an Alberta minute in his boots.

Tomorrow afternoon I plan on getting my reef on and a bit of my rye on before heading to the theatre to check out the movie.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lex said...

You are correct sir. That was one hell of a show.

6:59 a.m.  
Blogger hold steady said...

I think I saw a trailer for that, was wondering what the deal was. Will be checking it out for sure, cheers

2:55 p.m.  
Blogger Lex said...

Hey, I'm bad with exact dates, but Happy Birthday!

9:18 a.m.  
Blogger Dr. Fatty said...

Sweet, dude. Thanks.

You're actually dead on. Today's the day (26th).

I think I'm off to the Ship & Anchor for some beers.

1:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home