Tuesday, June 21, 2005

weekend from heaven

> How do you make a great weekend?
>
> You start your first day off with a White Spot burger and a beer
> before going to see Batman Begins on an IMAX screen. You then bring
> things down a notch by spending that evening nursing an slight
> hangover after some more beers after the movie. During that evening
> you watch the first hour of The Life Aquatic after giving up and
> passing out at midnight.
>
> The next day you read a bit about how you turned the channel when
> Rwandans were literally killing their neighbours because humans are
> just that fucked up and how no one outside of Rwanda wanted to help
> anyone within because humans are just that fucked up. Then you take
> out your nephew to a book store, indie record store, comic store, pet
> store and finally Zellers to spend a half hour before getting the go
> ahead from the six-year old to buy the Obi Wan Kenobi seeing as they
> don't have any Anakins. You then go home, get stoned and play some
> Grand Theft Auto on the Xbox until you get frustrated enough to turn
> it off before throwing the remote through the window. Then you head to
> Toby's and do what was described in yesterday's e-mail(s).
>
> The next day you go to work before going home and calling a great
> friend in Ottawa. You then take your dad, and entire family out for a
> Father's Day dinner. After the dinner you take the nephew and niece to
> the park with your parents. Following this you go home and get stoned
> before heading downtown. Once downtown you get a little more stoned
> and go to a Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks concert at Richard's. On the
> way out of the unbelievably good concert that makes you hope you can
> have a similar sense of humour, attitude and talent as that of Stephen
> Malkmus when you're nearing 40 years old, you say thanks to the rythm
> guitarist/keyboard player who also can't wait for the new Built To
> Spill album to drop.
>
> That's all it takes. If you can copy this you will have one of the
> best weekends you will remember in a while. The only thing that could
> have made this any better is having someone to go the concert's with,
> especially a girlfriend; preferrably a really hot girlfriend.
>
> Actually, you know what. Fuck all that. No offence, but I'm glad this
> turned out to be a solo weekend (outside of Geo and the movie and G
> Money at Toby's) because if I hung out with anyone at the shows I
> probably would not have been as tuned in to the music.
>
> Oh, the real capper is listening to the following song on the way home
> from the Jicks' concert:
>
> *Jumpers Lyrics*
> *Album :* *The Woods*
> *Artist :* *Sleater-Kinney*
>
>
>
> I spend the afternoon in cars
> I sit in traffic jams for hours
> Don't push me
> I am not OK
>
> The sky is blue most every day
> The lemons grow like tumors they
> Are tiny suns infused with sour
>
> Lonely as a cloud
> In the Golden State
> "The coldest winter that I ever saw
> Was the summer that I spent..."
>
> The only substance is the fog
> And it hides all that has gone wrong
> Can't see a thing
> Inside the maze
>
> There is a bridge adored and famed
> The Golden spine of engineering
> Who's back is heavy
> With my weight
>
> Be still this old heart
> Be still this old skin
> Drink your last drink
> Sin your last sin
> Sing your last song
> About the beginning
> Sing your song loud
> So the people can hear
> Let's Go
> Be still this sad day
> Be still this sad year
> Hope your last hope
> Fear you last fear
> Your not the only one
> Let's Go
>
> My falling shape will draw a line
> Between the blue of sea and sky
> I'm not a bird
> I'm not a plane
>
> I took the taxi to the gate
> I will not go to school again
> Four seconds was
> The longest wait
>
>
>
> When I got home I realised I must have been grinning all the way home
> before doing a jig up to my apartment.
>
> Of course, that could have been the bit of Jack Daniels or Kokanee I
> had to drink. Or the marijuana. Did I say that yet? These three
> substances are key to this beautiful weekend if you're hoping to
> recreate it.
>
> Ron
>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home